The storm brings impressive rainfall totals for parts of BisMan


According to the National Weather Service, there was only a 20% chance of thunderstorms yesterday for Bismarck Mandan. In the end, it probably should have been 80% the reverse, as most of us in the Bismarck, Mandan and Lincoln areas saw not only rain but also destructive hail.

Carrie Ann Raboin

Carrie Ann Raboin

The Bismarck Mandan region entered a severe thunderstorm warning at 4:15 p.m. Thursday afternoon. That storm brought heavy rain to northeast Bismarck and dropped hailstones as big as tennis balls, as reported by the National Weather Service. Our studios in Mandan saw very little rain, but we had an awesome hail blast around 4:45am as hail the size of golf balls hit the Strip (including my truck).

Another severe thunderstorm warning was issued at 4:45 a.m. for southeast Burleigh and adjacent counties south of Bismarck Mandan, which also brought heavy rain and hail. Most of these storms affected rural areas, but unfortunately crop damage was reported due to hail.

Here’s a look at some of the region’s rainfall totals according to

New Salem 0.34 inch rain

Mandan 0.07 inches of rain

Bismarck (city) 1.24 inches of rain

Bismarck (northeast) 1.77 inches of rain

McDowell dam 1.27 inches of rain

6 miles southeast of Lincoln 1.88 inches of rain

Lincoln (city) 0.67 inches of rain

Menoken 0.18 inch rain

Hazelton 0.01 inch of rain

Linton 0.71 inch rain

Sterling .01 inches of rain

Goose Lake 0.99 inch rain

Braddock 1.29 inch rain

Napoleon .58 inches of rain

Alkaline Lake 0.35 inches of rain

Steele .16 inches of rain

Driscoll .20 inches of rain

Sterling .02 inches of rain

Moffit .93 inches of rain

Hailstone Creek (7 miles west of New Salem) 1.02 inches of rain

Hanover 0.89 inches of rain

WATCH: Costliest weather and climate disasters in decades

Stacker ranked the most expensive weather disasters per billion since 1980 based on the total cost of all damages, adjusted for inflation, based on 2021 data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). The list begins with Hurricane Sally, which caused $7.3 billion in damage in 2020, and ends with a devastating 2005 hurricane that caused $170 billion in damage and killed at least 1,833 people. Read on to find out the 50 Costliest US Weather Disasters of Decades

The Most Famous People in North Dakota’s Biggest Cities


Comments are closed.