Teri Vogler [email protected]
With the recent triple digit temperature we’ve been experiencing, we find ourselves looking for the coolest place to chill. Runnels County has several great places to swim, relax in the shade or even watch a movie outdoors.
The county is home to two beautiful pools for swimming or relaxing. Ballinger’s town pool is surrounded by a plethora of tall pecan trees in the county seat’s town park. Recent additions to the pool include the installation of hot water in both showers. In addition, a privacy net covers the fence surrounding the pool. A 14′ slide with two twists will be installed by the end of the summer. The pool offers a variety of snacks and drinks inside the concession stand when you decide to take a break. Admission is $2 per person, and children 5 and under go free. They are open at the following times: Tuesday to Sunday 12 p.m.
Tuesday to Sunday from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Tuesday is family home evening from 7 to 9 p.m.
Thursday is Teen Night from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m.
There will be free admission on Friday the 24th and Saturday the 25th during the Hotter Than Hell Cookoff which will also take place at the city park.
*Please note that floats are not allowed in the pool, but they do have life jackets to use which are available in the concession stand. *
For more information, call the Ballinger City Pool at 325-365-1200.
Another fun place to enjoy the refreshing water is the Winters Pool. The old swimming pool was deconstructed and completely rebuilt from the ground up in recent years. The new facility houses a concession stand where you can also purchase a variety of snacks and beverages. Admission is $2 for adults and children 5 and under are free. Winters Pool is open at the following times:
Tuesday-Saturday from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday 2-5pm Monday-Closed For questions regarding Winters Pool, please call 325-754-4645 or check their Facebook page for more information.
With heat advisories not leaving the county anytime soon, a refreshing snow cone would surely quench your thirst and refresh you in a jiffy. Ballinger has several locations to pick up a snow cone and they are as follows:
• TP Harrell’s at the “Y” on Broadway is open Tuesday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. They are closed on Sundays.
• TJ Shaved Ice is located in the red food trailer near Stripes on Hutchings. They are closed on Sundays and their opening hours are normally from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m. Check their Facebook page for any changes in their hours as they take the trailer to special events.
• The greedy squirrel is located at Ballinger City Park. They are open Monday through Thursday from 12 p.m. to 8 p.m. and are closed on Sundays. Check their Facebook page for updates.
• The Ballinger BYOB water store on Strong Avenue behind the First National Bank is open for snow, ice and water cones from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
• Freezing frog shaved ice is located across from the Donut Shop on Main Street in Winters, and they are open during the following hours: Tuesday-Sunday 3-8:30 p.m. and on Sunday they are closed.
Check their Facebook page for more information.
Stay cool, hydrate and have fun!