The GoPro Mountain Games are celebrating their 20th anniversary this summer, June 7-12, with a slate of competitions that reads like a “dream come true” for outdoor sports enthusiasts. When the snow melts and summer rolls around, there’s a lot of bottled energy in the world of outdoor and mountain sports. The Mountain Games celebrates the mountain lifestyle we all love and is open to anyone and everyone (and their dogs).
Here are 20 reasons to sign up to take part in the GoPro 20th Anniversary Mountain Games – with competitions including fly fishing, kayaking, rafting, SUP, rock climbing, mountain biking, road biking, running, yoga, disc golf, DockDogs and more for athletes of all ages and abilities.
1. Over $130,000 in scholarships is a lot of money!
2. Shake off the winter rust – Skiing and snowboarding legs won’t help you here, get your body ready for summer!
3. Get your Athlete Bag – we see you signing up just to get the much desired Athlete Bag, but we can’t blame you, there’s some awesome gear and swag in there!
4. Take a hike in support of local education non-profit YouthPower365 – new this year, this is a hike you can feel great about while enjoying a laid back 5k with stops in along the way, an easy way to get in on the action
5. Access the Athletes’ Lounge at The Hangout at Golden Peak – New this year, The Hangout at Golden Peak is a place where spectators and athletes can…hang out. The Athletes’ Lounge in The Hangout will provide space for athletes to rest, recover and prepare for the next competition, and mingle with other athletes
6. New Competitions – Consider being part of the first-ever GoPro Dual Slalom head-to-head cycling event at Minturn Bike Park or the adidas Terrex 20K Anniversary Run; the Minturn Bike Park is an exciting new facility in the valley well worth a visit
7. New divisions for young people – Are you a teenager tired of competing with adults (or an adult tired of being smoked by your younger counterparts)? Mountain Games focus on more divisions this year for more age-appropriate competition
8. Claim your bragging rights – your friends and friends of your friends compete, sign up to claim bragging rights amongst your crew
9. Just have fun – the Mountain Games sees some of the best mountain athletes compete, but it’s also open to all Joes and Janes of all skill levels who are just looking to get out and have fun
10. Climbing is back – CELSIUS Citizen Climbing returns to the Mountain Games this year, along with Youth Climbing and the North American Cup Series for those looking to test their grip strength and navigation skills
11. Get muddy – the Nature Valley Mud Run is also making a comeback and is a family “competition” where everyone covered head to toe in mud is a winner in our book
12. Get your dog in on the action – With Dueling Dogs, Orijen DockDogs Extreme Vertical, Orijen DockDogs Outdoor Big Air, and Orijen DockDogs Speed Retrieve, mountain games provide competition you and your dog can both enjoy .
13. Come for the Games, Stay for the Music – Recharge and celebrate after a long day of competition at nightly concerts at the Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater (Twiddle, Gov’t Mule, Warren Haynes, Grace Potter, The Wailers and Julian Marley is part of the Mountains of Music range)
14. Finding love – This year, a couple from Colorado are celebrating their 10th anniversary after going on their first date at the Mountain Games in 2012. We can’t think of a better way to start a relationship!
15. Carry on traditions or create new ones – Celebrating 20 years, the Mountain Games are a place where memories are made and traditions
16. Register to compete, but attend for free – When you’re not at your own event, check out all the other action going on
17. Have something to look forward to – Summer schedules kick off with the Mountain Games, and we can’t wait to kick off summer in the Rockies
18. Join the camaraderie – Teamwork makes the dream work at Mountain Games!
19. Avoid FOMO – Everyone does it, don’t miss it!
20. Spend a Weekend (or Six Days) in Vail – Whether it’s a getaway or vacation, enjoy Vail in all its summer beauty